Feb 3, 2011

JCPenney Trip February 2: $34.49 (saved $429.43)

Many fantastic finds today. 
I went in today looking for something, but that item was still 60% off. So, I turned my attention to items that were 80% off or lower. I'm still in awe that a $60 purse was marked down to $2.97-95% savings! I had a 15% off survey coupon that stacked with a $10 off $50 coupon and I set off to see if I could find $50 worth of items that struck my fancy. I found 4 purses marked down to $2.97, 3 boy's tops, 1 pair of "comfy" pants for my daughter, 3 girl's winter coats, and, 2 Elmo sweatshirts. These 13 items came to $50.16. I used the $10 off $50 and 15% off survey coupons to save an additional $16.12. The total was $37.32 including tax (92% savings), or $2.87 per item.
How to stack JCPenney coupons here.


a little rant on spending vs saving
Clerks are irritating when they say, "You saved blah blah!" I know they are told to tell you what you saved and you walk away with that amount instead of what you spent as the last thing you hear before the clerk adds, "Don't forget the survey." Sometimes I even hear, "Nice job!" Really? Never would I spend retail on any item in this purchase. The purses were an absolute impulse buy. If I had not bought the purses, I would have bought a few more items for the kids, or maybe made it over to the men's section. For me, I must keep my eyes on the fact I spent $37.32 out of the clothing budget, which is $600 a year (with a little wiggle room here and there). As great sales continue this month (and they will) don't be suckered into a purchase that is out of your budget just because you will save xx dollars. If you don't have the money to spend don't spend it! It's not like I saved $429.43 and was able to put it in the bank--if I could, my husband's student loans would be paid off!

No comments: