Jan 11, 2011

A Tasty Cake

Originally posted September 24, 2010

This is what I do when I'm not couponing. My little sister got married last weekend and she asked me to make the cake. Of course! I should not have been so quick to jump in. The wedding was 3,000 miles away from where I live and she does not cook very much. I packed what I thought I would need and figured I would borrow the rest. Right. I was able to borrow some cooking racks since my sister had two 8" round cooling racks, but when you are dealing with a 16" base I was left using cutting boards to cool that part of the cake. I am so spoiled when it comes to baking at home with a Professional Kitchen Aid mixer. It did not occur to me that I would not be able to make double batches of batter or frosting. It turned out nicely, but there was a structural flaw and I made her and the groom cut the cake early so we could take it apart. The cake was chocolate with chocolate filling and coconut frosting with coconut shavings.

What post about a wedding would be complete without a picture of the happy couple (and a frugal tip)?


See the arch behind them? They bought the arch and grew the flowers themselves to decorate their friend's backyard! The arch comes apart in the middle and there were long flower pots at the base of each side--hidden by the other potted plants.

No comments: